Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Bicycle Touring is Affordable (needs edits)

Bicycles cost money. Chains, cassettes, and eventually chainrings all wear out. Brake pads... don't last forever.

The Rivendell Atlantis appears to be the perfect touring bicycle. The Surly Long Haul Trucker addresses many of the same needs.

I hosted a Warm Showers guest who rode to my house on a Trek 7100. I've seen homeless travelers wear out a freewheel on a department store bike until the teeth went beyond 'shark-tooth.' The most traveled man in the world used a common 3 speed to explore hundreds of countries. He raced elephants in the desert.

After you get the bicycle, you need to make sure the parts are going to work without letting you down. There are tons of cheap parts that fit the bill, but some costlier parts make you second guess the cheaper options. Tires are a good example. What's the difference between a Schwalbe Marathon XR and a basic circle of house-brand rubber? I rode 120 miles on $5 tires, and the only complain I had was about my butt. (What does that say about saddle choice? How about mileage?)

Hobos have asked if I've ever tried to fly a sign. I haven't yet, but it's an option. If you run out of options, there is always the sign flying safety net.

The best way to save money is always with self sufficiency. If you do your more of your own service and cook more of your own food, then you will be able to travel sooner, or go further, or have money for more sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment